Monday, February 07, 2005

Bacchus and the Commerce Clause:

In classical antiquity, ceremonies celebrating the wine god Dionysus or Bacchus were the scene of orgiastic rites:

Chiefly associated with women, the worship of Dionysus or Bacchus took place every two years in the winter months, when the bacchantes took off to the mountains. Once beyond the reach of their men folk, they were inspired to ecstatic frenzy, drinking excessive quantities of wine and dancing wildly to the clashing of cymbals and the pounding of their long staffs.
Things are a bit different for modern American law students. We get invitations to events like this: "The American Constitution Society's '21st Amendment v. Dormant Commerce Clause Wine Event.'"

I don't think I'll go. It's not that I have anything against mixing business with pleasure, mind you, but I draw the line at the dormant commerce clause. It's just not the sort of thing I ever want to cross my mind when I'm enjoying a glass of Merlot.

No comments: